3.24.2011

Small Things

I love the idea of living in an efficiency apartment and having to find interesting ways to save space.  In this dream EVERYTHING has a dual purpose.  My toilet would also have a sink on top.  My microwave (or toaster oven) would have burners on top.  I would use those little ketchup bottles you see on airplanes.  I would also have an awesome divider in my room to separate my bedroom from my living room.  My bed might even come down from the walls!  Also in this dream everything is super high design and expensive.  As if I have this great job and make lots of money and only live in a 250sqft apartment by choice. 

When I was younger I used to want to turn my bedroom into a mini apartment.  You know, because I didn't live under my parents but rather leased the space until I could get on my feet.  I paid for my room with dish duty and laundry folding (I don't understand how anyonce can enjoy folding laundry).  Once I even put an ice tray in my room and filled it with water.  That was going to be my sink.  That lasted minutes.  I used to tell my friends that when I moved to the next house (army brat) that I would be getting a mini fridge.  With what money and permission?  I never even asked for that.  I still don't have a minifridge.  My mom now lives in a town house in DC that is small in comparison to her past places and has 2 full size fridges AND a mini fridge.  She used to also have a freezer.  My mom is a "collector", not a hoarder. 

If my husband and I ever break up for some reason and we are still alive (because most likely it would be a double homicide), I will move into a super small place.  I'll look for the smallest place I can find.  Give me a 200sqft challenge.  I am trying to get my husband to make Russell a loft bed so we can maximize the space in the kid's room.  I want EVERYTHING to be able to fit under his bed.  Closet, dresser, bookcase, toy box.  Under a twin size bed.  If Russell asks me for a minifridge when he gets older I will probably buy one for him and be super jealous about it.  I feel like it all starts with the minifridge.  Maybe the minifridge will have an attached microwave on top with burners on the microwave. 

Here are some super cool space saving appliances
This one is still a possibility. (above)



14" and 7 1/2" deep

Griddle, toaster oven, AND coffee pot. 




This is a sink AND dishwasher.  The only reason I have a two sided sink is for washing dishes. 


This has a cooking top, oven and dishwasher.  BRILLIANT!


This is a washing machine that uses the old water to flush the toilet.  I don't think it's for sale yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment